Templo Mayor
The Templo Mayor was the main temple of the Mexicas, a great double pyramid at the heart of the sacred precinct of Tenochtitlán, with twin shrines dedicated to Huitzilopochtli, god of war and the sun, and Tláloc, god of rain. The Spaniards destroyed it after the conquest of 1521 and built the colonial city on top.
Its ruins were rediscovered in 1978, when workers found the great monolith of the goddess Coyolxauhqui; today the site and its museum sit beside the Zócalo and the Metropolitan Cathedral in Mexico City.